After I made the time-lapse video and linked to an earlier (prior to de-pave) video I found another way to show the changes visually.
I didn't realize this was possible on Google Maps but I guess I wasn't paying attention: you can use street view to time travel a location back to see its changes over time!
This is useful for our purposes in Lot M/Coldspring Valley: In Google Maps there are 2007, 2011 and 2015 views of McMaster Parking Lot M that show the parking lot before and after the de-pave to create a naturalized buffer between the parking and Ancaster Creek.
If you are curious about this here's what you need to know:
How to view:
- Open your google maps app
- Locate the McMaster campus parking (Lot M)
- Select street view (drag human figure onto map to activate)
- Choose a perspective (see example below which gives a good vantage point from above)
- In the top left corner of the map there is a small timer icon: you can use this to change views to different years of street views.